After a busy day, there’s nothing quite like shutting the world out and indulging in some delicious comfort food. Both sweet and savoury – such as an easy vegan chocolate cake you’ll like the sound of – these healthy eating pick-me-up recipes are perfect for hard workers.
Vegan chocolate cake
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 50g cocoa powder
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- 275g self-raising flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 175g caster sugar
- 300ml soya milk
- 225g dairy free spread
- 2tbsp water
- 200g icing sugar
- Turn the oven on and pre-heat to 180°C or 160°C for fan-assisted ovens. Whilst the oven is coming up to temperature you can start putting together the ingredients for your delicious vegan chocolate cake.
- Melt 150g of your dairy free spread.
- Combine the lemon juice and soya milk and leave to the side.
- Mix 25g of the cocoa powder with caster sugar, bicarbonate of soda and flour, passing through a sieve into a large bowl.
- Add the lemon and soya milk mixture, along with the melted spread, and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Grease and line a couple of baking tins, then add equal quantities of your mixture to each one.
- Pop in the oven for around 35 minutes. Insert the point of a knife or skewer into the heart of your cake to see if it’s done. If it comes out clean you’re good to go.
- Once the cake has baked you can move onto the icing. Combine 25g of cocoa powder, 75g of dairy free spread and 200g of icing sugar, adding the water to loosen the mixture slightly. Mix until smooth and voilà! You have your tasty topping.
- Let the cakes cool and then turn out onto a rack. Once cold you can add half of the icing to one cake and then sandwich with the other. Finish by spreading on the rest of the icing and then top with nuts, berries… whatever you like!
Italian bean burgers
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tins cannellini beans
- 2 avocados
- Handful of chopped basil
- ½tsp dried oregano
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 100g rolled oats
- ¾tsp salt
- ¼tsp black pepper
- 2 large tomatoes
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
- Add the beans, oats, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper to a blender and whizz up until you’ve got the desired consistency. If you like your burgers smooth, pulse for longer. Prefer it chunky? Save a few whole beans back.
- Mash your avocado with the fresh basil, again mixing until you reach your desired texture. Combine half of the avocado and basil with the bean mixture, leaving the other half on the side to top your burgers.
- Shape the mixture into 4 large burgers, or 6 smaller ones.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the burgers, cooking for around 4 minutes on each side until a crust forms. Cook in batches if you’re working in a small pan.
- Remove, pat with some kitchen towel, spread on the remaining avocado mixture and serve. Eat on their own or enjoy in a bun with your favourite condiments.
No-bake vegan lemon cheesecake
Prep time: 15 minutes (not including soaking or setting time)
- 300g cashew nuts
- 2tbps agave syrup
- 250g vegan biscuits
- 3tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3 zested and juiced lemons
- 150ml almond milk
- Soak the cashew nuts in boiling water for an hour or leave them in cold water for 4 to 6 hours.
- Blitz the biscuits and coconut oil in a blender until fine, then press firmly into a cake tin.
- Drain your cashews and add the remaining ingredients. Keep a little lemon zest to the side for decorating.
- Spoon the mixture onto your biscuit base and leave to set in the fridge for a couple of hours. This recipe makes 10 to 12 slices so, once made, you’ll have a quick and easy pick me up to come home to for days.